The estimated size of my ecological footprint is 5.06 Earths. When comparing my results with fellow classmates, I was somewhat proud of my efforts in saving natural resources, however not until I read the part where it said:
“ To sustain present levels of consumption, we would need 1.50 Earths!"
I was very surprised at how low the number was. It meant I would either have to start using organic candles at home, or switch off the hot water system when my sister is showering.
I have always been the one that took 20-30 minute showers, turned on all the lights in my room and never thought twice when buying unnecessary products that don’t end up being used much. It was not until this year that I started to become more aware about my future in this world. I wanted to live in a future where there would be ultimately no water shortage or other man-made disasters. So I have been changing my lifestyle in which I won’t regret even if the world ends during my lifetime, because at least I have done my part in extending the Earth’s existence by a millisecond.

No comments:
Post a Comment