What I thought…
Designing a product service system was one of the hardest tasks I’ve encountered. The greatest issue was trying to understand what a product service system was. Although we were shown examples of product service systems during our lecture, however most classmates and I were confused because there were examples of service systems without a product, there were also past projects that were just a service and a kit. So most groups including our group thought we could do something similar like those. However through many consultations with tutors, we realized that what we had in mind were wrong. So we threw away those examples we saw on the lecture slides and started to reflect on what the tutors expected from our topic. The process was long and frustrating. Sometimes one idea worked, but the steps around it wouldn’t. Other times the system would not be feasible as it was too complicated. Designing just a pure product is like creating Earth, but designing a product service system is like creating the entire Universe! Too much for one person to handle! Thank god it wasn’t an individual assignment.
To PSS or not?
Industrial designers can consider product service systems among their solution finding strategies or just design a product that solves the problem. Personally I see a product service system as a back up plan incase a product by itself isn’t enough to do achieve what is required.
Like or Dislike?
This task was actually not a good experience for me mainly because it took a very long time for my group and I to understand what a product service system was. Though, I did enjoy the thought process and listening to the criticisms of each group member on everyone’s ideas. It was interesting and allowed me to see things from another perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment